There are twenty six bones of the feet with thirty three or more articulations. They provide structural support and facilitate movement. The foot can be broken down into three parts:
- There are seven tarsal bones.
- There are five metatarsal bones.
- There are fourteen phalanges .
There are also sesamoid bones help improve function but not structural stability.
Another way to group the the foot is in sections:
- The hindfoot is the talus and calcaneus, two of the tarsal bones.
- The midfoot is the remaining tarsal bones- the cuboid, the navicular, and the cuneiforms.
- The forefoot is the metatarsals and phalanges.